Retail Clerk, Sex Educator and Resident Booklover
Job Posting: Sex Educator, Retail Clerk & Resident Booklover
25-35 hours a week/4-5 days a week
(We have some flexibility based on your needs)
We’re growing again, and looking for someone to join the VE team. In this role, you’d work on the floor and be involved in the day-to-day operations of VE. You’d also be in charge of all things book-related.
Here are some things you might do in your role as Resident Booklover:
- Order, receive and process all books.
- Stay up to date on new releases, and stock titles that would be of interest to Venus Envy’s customers.
- Organize readings and other book events at the store.
- Create book displays and reading lists to help promote our book selection.
Here are some things you would do in your role as Sales Clerk and Sex Educator:
- Help people buy their first vibrators at age 18, 42, or 75. Help people buy all sorts of sex toys many, many times a day.
- Have a heart-warming interaction with a young person buying their first binder, while supportively answering questions from their parents.
- Recommend a great book to a customer looking for a weekend read.
- Talk with customers about: erectile dysfunction, menopause, opening up a relationship, having anal sex for the first time, navigating kinky power dynamics, having sex after surgery, and much, much more.
- Explain how a cock ring works and where to find a G-spot.
- Work with co-workers to keep the store organized and clean by helping with the daily chores and cleaning up unexpected messes.
- Restock products and help process inventory.
- Attend staff meetings, trainings, and workshops as needed.
Think you’d like to do these things? Awesome! We’re looking for someone who:
- Is fluent in French and is comfortable speaking French with customers.
- Is able to work weekends on a consistent basis.
- Is an avid reader, and is thrilled at the idea of talking about books with customers and staff.
- Is organized, reliable, punctual and detail-oriented.
- Is friendly and warm, and able to create a welcoming environment in the store.
- Is passionate about sex education, and is comfortable talking about sex for hours at a time.
- Has strong communication and conflict resolution skills, and understands the importance of confidentiality at Venus Envy.
- Has experience working in a bookstore (not necessary, but considered an asset).
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, or drop off in person at 226 Bank St. The deadline to apply is Wednesday October 16 at 11:59pm.
In your cover letter, please let us know why you’re interested in this position. We’re happy to accept cover letters in creative and unconventional formats (but please keep any audio or video applications to a maximum of 1 minute in length). Don’t worry too much about sending a traditional, professional cover letter, as long as you get this information across.
Please Note: If sending application by email, please attach documents instead of linking to a Google doc.
We appreciate all applications, but are only able to contact those selected for an interview.
Access Info: This role requires standing for long periods of time, lots of moving around the store, and some bending and lifting. Our kitchen, staff room and stock room are all down one flight of stairs. Please feel free to get in touch with us with any other accessibility questions. Venus Envy is committed to an equitable hiring process. We welcome the opportunity to work collaboratively with applicants in increasing accessibility throughout this process.
Compensation: $16/hour, plus health + dental benefits. You also get free access to most workshops, regular staff training opportunities, an excellent staff discount, and really great co-workers.