Retail Clerk and Sex Educator, Part-Time
Job Posting: Retail Clerk and Sex Educator, Part-Time
We're looking for a new person to join our team as a retail clerk and sex educator, on a part-time basis.
Here are some things you might do on a regular day in this role:
- Help people buy their first vibrators at age 18, 42, or 75. Help people buy all sorts of sex toys many, many times a day.
- Have a heart-warming interaction with a young person buying their first binder, while supportively answering questions from their parents.
- Recommend a great book to a customer looking for a weekend read.
- Talk with customers about: erectile dysfunction, menopause, opening up a relationship, having anal sex for the first time, navigating kinky power dynamics, having sex after surgery, and much, much more.
- Work with co-workers to keep the store organized and clean by helping with the daily chores and cleaning up unexpected messes.
- Create in-store displays, restock products and help with inventory.
- Attend staff meetings, trainings, and workshops as needed.
- Promote Venus Envy in-store and in the community.
Think you’d like to do these things? Awesome! We’re looking for someone who:
- Strongly values sexual and reproductive justice, and is excited about living out these values at Venus Envy.
- Is warm, friendly and caring, and genuinely enjoys talking to people.
- Is passionate about sex education, and is comfortable talking about sex for hours at a time.
- Is an avid reader, and loves browsing our bookshelves for a new, great read.
- Has experience working in a customer-centred sales position or in a retail environment.
- Has strong communication and conflict resolution skills.
We’ll also consider the following as strong assets:
- Fluency in French
- Experience in the sexual health, LGBTTQ+ communities, and/or in the sex education field
- Active listening and/or support work experience
This position requires approximately 15-25 hours a week (2-3 shifts per week). Must be available to work weekends on a consistent basis.
Compensation is $15/hour plus 4% vacation pay. Other benefits of working at Venus Envy include free access to workshops, regular staff training opportunities, an excellent discount and really great co-workers!
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Sam at email@example.com, or drop off in person at 226 Bank St. by Tuesday July 16 at 7pm.
In your cover letter, please let us know why you want to work at Venus Envy. We’re also happy to accept cover letters in creative and unconventional formats (but please keep any audio or video applications to a maximum of 1 minute in length). Don’t worry too much about sending a traditional, professional cover letter, as long as you get the information across.
Please Note: If sending application by email, please attach documents instead of linking to a Google doc.
We appreciate all applications, but are only able to contact those selected for an interview.
Access Info: This role requires standing for long periods of time, lots of moving around the store, and some bending and lifting. Our kitchen, staff room and stock room are all down a flight of stairs. Please feel free to get in touch with us with any other accessibility questions. Venus Envy is committed to an equitable hiring process. We welcome the opportunity to work collaboratively with applicants in increasing accessibility throughout this process.
In recognizing traditional and systemic barriers to employment, we will prioritize applications from people who are from marginalized communities, especially applications from trans people and BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and people of colour).
About Us: Venus Envy Ottawa is an education-oriented sex store and bookstore. We believe that education and self-exploration are the best ways to become comfortable with our personal desires. We also believe that everyone has the right to the shameless exploration of sex, sensuality, and pleasure.
We know that sexual experiences can be fun, playful, confusing, intense, difficult, healing, liberatory, and everything in between. We also know that systems of oppression strongly impact individuals’ access to empowering and pleasurable sexual exploration. With all this in mind, we offer accurate, non-judgmental information about sex, and we strive to act in ways that are sex-positive, anti-racist and anti-oppressive.
We believe that knowledge is key in making the best decisions for ourselves, and having happier, healthier, and hotter sex lives. We offer a comfortable environment and a wide range of tools and toys for people to explore their sexuality and gender. We also strive to have fun, learn together, and be a great place to work!