- Always (always, always!) use lube for any kind of anal play.
- Silicone and Cyberskin toys should not be used with silicone-based lube.
- Jelly toys should be stored away from each other and your Cyberskin toys (they'll melt!).
- Condoms are recommended for shared toys, and essential for toys used both anally and vaginally.
- Toys cleaned with a toy-cleaner containing nonoxynol-9 should be rinsed thoroughly to prevent irritation.
- Silicone toys should be stored away from sharp objects and pets looking for chew toys.
- Jelly toys should not be exposed to heat sources or to direct sunlight.
- After washing, allow toys to air dry rather than drying with a towel or tissue.
Taking Care of Your New Toy
100% Silicone Toys
Silicone is non-porous and hypo-allergenic. Clean it with soap and warm water, or with toy cleaner. Solid silicone toys can be boiled, or put in the top rack of a dishwasher … if your roommates don't mind.
Jelly Vinyl / Jelly Silicone / Vinyl Toys
Clean with soap and warm water. Because these are porous materials, you may want to use a condom on your toy or clean it with toy-cleaner to maintain its hygiene. Do not use oil-based lubricants on your jelly or plastic toy, and do not allow jelly or plastic toys to come into contact with one another—they'll stick!.
"Cyberskin" and similar realistic-feeling materials are very porous. You can use a condom on your toy to maintain its good looks. Clean with soap and warm water, rinse well and allow to air dry. Dust the toy with cornstarch to keep it silky smooth.
Plastic is less porous than jelly but your toy may have seams that can trap bacteria. Clean with soap and water, rinse, towel dry. Check your toy every so often to make sure seams have not split and there are no rough edges, file with an emery board if necessary. Do not drop plastic toys on hard surfaces!
Glass / Acrylic Toys
Glass and acrylic are hard, non-porous materials. Clean with soap and water, rinse, and towel dry. Be careful not to drop your glass or acrylic toy, as it may shatter.
Follow cleaning instructions for appropriate material, be careful not to get water into the battery compartment. If your toy is multi-speed, do not use the speed dial to tighten cap. If you have an "egg" shaped toy and use it internally, do not pull on the cord to remove it. If your vibrator is not working, rearrange or replace batteries. Remove batteries when not in use to prevent leakage.
Clean with soap and warm water using a damp cloth. Do not run for more than twenty minutes; let your vibrator cool down for a half hour between uses.
Ben Wa Balls
Wash in warm soapy water, rinse well and set on a towel to dry.
Leather / Rubber Gear
Clean with soap or leather cleaner on a damp cloth, follow with a material specific conditioner to prevent drying and cracking. Do not dry in direct heat.